Download Full Text (309 KB)
This postcard features a black and white image of the Governor's mansion in Jackson, Mississippi. The mansion is a two-story, rectangular masonry structure painted white. Its front facade is five bays wide, each bay articulated by pilasters with scrolled capitals; bays on the side elevations are separated by doubled pilasters. The center bay is larger, and is fronted by a two-story half-round portico supported by four columns. A full entablature encircles the building, ending in a dentillated cornice below the roof line. Trees are pictured behind and to the side of the mansion. The title of the photograph is printed in the upper right corner of the card and the publisher's name is printed in the bottom right corner. An inscription is written sideways on the right edge of the card. The back of the postcard is addressed to Miss Helen White in Oxford, North Carolina. The card is postmarked Jackson, Mississippi, April 3, 1908 and a green, one cent Benjamin Franklin postage stamp is placed in the upper right corner.
The West Jackson Book Store
Postcards; Mississippi Governor's Mansion (Jackson, Miss.)
Mississippi State University Libraries, Archives and Special Collections, Manuscripts Unit, Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Mississippiana Collection, Postcard/Photographs, Box 3, Box 3: Mississippi Capitol Region
Mississippi State University Libraries (electronic version)
Copyright protected by Mississippi State University Libraries. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. Permission to publish or reproduce is required.
For more information about the contents of this collection, email sp_coll@library.MSState.edu.
Governors' Mansion, Jackson, Mississippi, Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Special Collections Department, Mississippi State University