Download Full Text (1.1 MB)
This sepia toned photograph is a rare Daniel photograph (with their imprint) from Jackson, Mississippi of the Baptist Orphanage in Jackson, Mississippi. The extensive nineteenth century institution is shown with buggies, dozens of children, and extensive buildings and grounds. The photograph is mounted on black board with damaged edges and the back of the board identifies the location and year of the photograph. The orphanage was located on the current site of the Jackson Medical Mall. The Baptist Orphanage admitted the first child to care on May 12, 1897. In 1906, the orphanage reported a property value of $100,000 with 108 children being cared for. The Baptist Orphanage relocated in the 1960s and continues to operate as the Baptist Children’s Village.
Baptist Orphange Jackson MS; Baptist Orphanage 1908 Jackson, MS
Orphanages; Orphan asylums
Mississippi State University Libraries, Archives and Special Collections Division, Manuscripts Unit, Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Mississippiana Collection, Photographs in Blue Folder
Mississippi State University Libraries (electronic version)
Copyright protected by Mississippi State University Libraries. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. Permission to publish or reproduce is required.
For more information about the contents of this collection, email sp_coll@library.MSState.edu.
Baptist Orphanage, 1908, Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Archives and Special Collections Division, Mississippi State University