Download Full Text (243 KB)
This postcard features a black and white image of the Confederate monument standing on the grounds in front of a post office in Aberdeen, Mississippi. The U.S. Court House and Post Office in Aberdeen, Mississippi was built in 1885. Also known as Old Federal Building, it served historically as a court house and as a post office. It is a red brick and gray stone two and a half story building in the “Victorian Romanesque style embellished with Gothic and Classical details” with arched windows, a gabled roof, and arched details at the entrances. the Confederate monument, set within a round wrought iron fence, is an obelisk with a statue of a solder on top. The title of the card is printed in the upper right corner of the card and "C. T. Tinted Iris" is written sideways on the right edge." $45.00" is written in pencil on the upper right corner of the back of the card.
Postcards; Soldiers' monuments--Southern States; Post office buildings
Post offices; Confederate monuments; Aberdeen, MS
Mississippi State University Libraries, Archives and Special Collections, Manuscripts Unit, Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Mississippiana Collection, Postcard/Photographs, Box 4, Northeast Mississippi Region
Mississippi State University Libraries (electronic version)
Copyright protected by Mississippi State University Libraries. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. Permission to publish or reproduce is required.
For more information about the contents of this collection, email sp_coll@library.MSState.edu.
Confederate Monument and Post Office, Aberdeen, Mississippi, Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Special Collections Department, Mississippi State University