Download Full Text (426 KB)
This postcard features a black and white image of the opera house in Aberdeen, Mississippi. Known at the time as the Temple Opera House, the building is a three or four story structure with peaked gables along the roof line and a tower on the far left corner. A gazebo shaped structure is a the front entrance with men and horse and buggies parked beneath it. A Pepsi-Cola sign is seen on the side of the building and a Masonic square and compass symbol is on the front gable peak of the roof. According to the donor, the opera house was built by the Masons in 1884. The title of the card is printed sideways outside the right edge of the image and an illegible inscription is written beneath the title. The back of the card is addressed to Fritz Wagner in Berlin, Germany. The card is postmarked Jackson, Miss., November 11, 1907 and a red, two cent George Washington postage stamp is placed in the upper right corner.
MacGowan-Cooke Printing Co., Chattanooga, Tenn.
opera house; Aberdeen, MS
Mississippi State University Libraries, Archives and Special Collections, Manuscripts Unit, Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Mississippiana Collection, Postcard/Photographs, Box 3, Northeast Mississippi Region
Mississippi State University Libraries (electronic version)
Copyright protected by Mississippi State University Libraries. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. Permission to publish or reproduce is required.
For more information about the contents of this collection, email sp_coll@library.MSState.edu.
Opera House, Aberdeen, Mississippi, Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Special Collections Department, Mississippi State University