Download Full Text (232 KB)
This postcard features a color image of the famous entry gate of Whitworth Female College at corner of W. Cherokee Street and Jackson Street, near where Mary Jane Lampson Auditorium would be built in 1912. A gated, white arch with "Whitworth College" lettered on it, stands in front of a long white walkway. A large building is a the ended of the walkway. Trees line the road to the left of the arch. Whitworth Female College was a Methodist women’s college in Brookhaven, Mississippi, founded in 1858 by Milton Whitworth. It operated until 1938 when it was merged with Millsaps College. It is now the site of the Mississippi School of the Arts. Ca. 1904.
Postcards; Private universities and colleges
Mississippi State University Libraries, Archives and Special Collections, Manuscripts Unit, Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Mississippiana Collection, Postcard/Photographs, Box 4, Pine Belt Region
Mississippi State University Libraries (electronic version)
Copyright protected by Mississippi State University Libraries. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. Permission to publish or reproduce is required.
For more information about the contents of this collection, email sp_coll@library.MSState.edu.
Whitworth College, Brookhaven, Mississippi, Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Special Collections Department, Mississippi State University