Download Full Text (2.4 MB)
This approximately 10 inches by 34 inches panoramic image features the 861st Field Artillery Battalion on July 15, 1944. In the background of the over three hundred uniformed soldiers is a pecan grove in front of the soldiers’ large tar paper barracks. Camp Van Dorn was a 41,844-acre US military camp located in Amite and Wilkinson Counties, just south of Centreville in southern Mississippi. Named for Confederate general Earl Van Dorn of Mississippi, this US Army post served as a training camp for ground force division soldiers destined for the European Theater from 1942 to 1945. The camp played a critical role in preparing American troops for combat in World War II.
American Photography Co.
Military camps; photographs
photograph: b&w: 10in by 34in
Mississippi State University Libraries, Manuscripts Archives and Special Collections Division, Manuscripts Unit, Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Mississippiana Collection, Postcard/Photographs, Oversized Photographs
Mississippi State University Libraries (electronic version)
Copyright protected by Mississippi State University Libraries. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. Permission to publish or reproduce is required.
For more information about the contents of this collection, email sp_coll@library.MSState.edu.
Camp Van Dorn 861st Field Artillery Battalion, Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Special Collections Department, Mississippi State University