Download Full Text (280 KB)
This postcard features a black and white image of the Mississippi Mills, one of the earliest and most important manufacturing plants to be established in Copiah County, Mississippi. It was the cotton and woolen mills known as the Mississippi Manufacturing Company, later renamed the Mississippi Mills, which was erected in 1866 at Wesson by Colonel James Madison Wesson. The building is a long, five story structure with six story towers spaced from each corner of the building with one in the front center. Electric utility poles are spaced along the street in front of the building. The name and location of the building is handwritten along the bottom edge of the image. The back of the postcard is addressed to Miss. Clemmie Tucker in Senatobia, Mississippi with a note that reads, "A good view of the Mill. Frank." the card is postmarked June, 20, 1906 in Wesson, Mississippi and a green, one cent Benjamin Franklin postage stamp is placed sideways in the upper right corner.
Postcards; Cotton mills
cotton mills; woolen mills; mills
Mississippi State University Libraries, Archives and Special Collections, Manuscripts Unit, Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Mississippiana Collection, Postcard/Photographs, Box 3: Mississippi Capitol Region
Mississippi State University Libraries (electronic version)
Copyright protected by Mississippi State University Libraries. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. Permission to publish or reproduce is required.
For more information about the contents of this collection, email sp_coll@library.MSState.edu.
Mississippi Mills, Wesson, Mississippi, 1906, Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Special Collections Department, Mississippi State University