Download Full Text (434 KB)
This sepia toned photograph is a rare original photograph of the Gulf and Ship Island Railroad Depot at Wiggins in Stone County in ca. 1904. The City Drug Store, the Western Union Telegraph and Cable office, and the Southern Express Company are shown, as well as dozens of white and black citizens awaiting a coming train. On the side of the Depot is a Wiggins sign, noting Jackson is 125 miles away and the distance of Gulfport. Three sets of tracks are noted next to the two-story Depot. The photograph is mounted on a black board. Wiggins is named after Wiggins Hatten, the father of Madison Hatten, one of the area’s original settlers. It was incorporated in 1904, and the 1910 census reported 980 residents. In the early 1900s, Wiggins was a booming town due to the timber industry, with it serving as headquarters of the Finkbine Lumber Company. On January 21, 1910, more than half of Wiggins was destroyed by large fire, including this depot building.
Railroads; Railroad depots
photograph: b&W: 35in by 10in
Mississippi State University Libraries, Archives and Special Collections Division, Manuscripts Unit, Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Mississippiana Collection, Photographs in Blue Folder
Mississippi State University Libraries (electronic version)
Copyright protected by Mississippi State University Libraries. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. Permission to publish or reproduce is required.
For more information about the contents of this collection, email sp_coll@library.MSState.edu.
Gulf and Ship Island Railroad Depot, Wiggins, Mississippi, ca. 1904, Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Archives and Special Collections Department,Mississippi State University