Download Full Text (310 KB)
This postcard features the Conservatory of Music building on the Meridian Female College, a three story, red brick building with Spanish details on the roofline of the bump-out sections. A sign for the conservatory is above the third floor windows of the bump-out on the right. Pine trees are in front of the conservatory. The title of the card is printed in red along the bottom left of the image. Founded by John Wesley Beeson in 1903 as the Meridian Woman’s College to which was added the Conservatory of Music in 1904, the school merged with Beeson’s Meridian Male College in 1914 (which he had founded also in 1902), becoming known as the Meridian College and Conservatory. Highly regarded while Beeson led it the school was sold in 1920, closed in 1929, and was torn down ca. 1932.
International Post Card Co., New York
Postcards; Private Universities and colleges
female colleges; Meridian, MS
Mississippi State University Libraries, Archives and Special Collections, Manuscripts Unit, Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Mississippiana Collection, Postcard/Photographs, Box 4, East Central Mississippi Region
Mississippi State University Libraries (electronic version)
Copyright protected by Mississippi State University Libraries. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. Permission to publish or reproduce is required.
For more information about the contents of this collection, email sp_coll@library.MSState.edu.
Conservatory of Music, Female College, Meridian, Mississippi, Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Special Collections Department, Mississippi State University