Download Full Text (1.4 MB)
This typed description of the album is yellowed paper mounted on black paper. The description reads "Descriptive Mississippi's New Capital is, architecturally speaking, the most important and the most prominent public building in the South. It is erected on the site formerly occupied by the State Penitentiary, a rectangle about 750 ft. square, on an eminence overlooking the country for a considerable distance. The main facade is to the south, the main entrance centering with Congress Street. The length of the building is 402 feet from east to west, the width through center pavilion is 225 ft, and the central dome rises 180 feet above the grade line established at the main entrance. They style adopted is renaissance. The building is illuminated with 4750 incandescent lights and heated by steam, both steam and electricity being generated in the basement. It is fireproof. The foundations are of concrete walls of Indiana limestone with a base of Georgia granite. The dome is of terra cotta. Twelve different kinds of real marble and a large quantity of scagliola and enamel tiles were used on the interior walls and floors. Actual work was begun in March 1901 and in July 1905 the building was accepted from the General Contractors."
Capitol buildings; Jackson, MS
Mississippi State University Libraries, Manuscripts Division, Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Mississippiana Collection, Hattiesburg Sub-Collection
Mississippi State University Libraries (electronic version)
Copyright protected by Mississippi State University Libraries. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. Permission to publish or
For more information about the contents of this collection, email sp_coll@library.Msstate.edu.
Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Special Collections Department, Mississippi State University