Download Full Text (237 KB)
This postcard features a color illustration of the Dukate Theatre Building in Biloxi, Mississippi, a red, two story building with arched windows and doors on both floors, awnings over the rectangular windows in the center of the first floor. White molding surrounds the arches and line the top floor. A banner reading "SKYDOME" is strung between utility poles on either side of the road at the theatre. A dark, two story building with a balcony on the second floor is to the left of the theatre and other buildings are to the right. Street car rails can be seen on the road in front. The title of the card is printed in the upper right corner of the image. Located at 760 Howard Avenue (now 760 Vieux Marché), Dukate’s Theatre opened as a playhouse on July 4, 1899, and in 1910 began to advertise movies.
Detroit Publishing Co.
theatres; Biloxi, MS; Mississippi Gulf Coast
Mississippi State University Libraries, Archives and Special Collections, Manuscripts Unit, Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Mississippiana Collection, Postcard/Photographs, Box 4, Mississippi Coastal Region
Mississippi State University Libraries (electronic version)
Copyright protected by Mississippi State University Libraries. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. Permission to publish or reproduce is required.
For more information about the contents of this collection, email sp_coll@library.MSState.edu.
Dukate Theatre Building, Biloxi, Mississippi, Lucius Marion Lampton, MD Historical Images Collection, Special Collections Department, Mississippi State University